I may not be posting often nowadays, but I couldn’t let an E3 go by without a bit of discussion, so here we are.
Not too much to talk about yet, for me, at least. Microsoft had a decent conference, but the move from video games as a product to video games as service is just completely at odds with how I want to play games. Nothing really looked amazing, and the Xbox (I refuse to call it The One, blech) and PS4 are so similar, other than the PS4′s power advantage, that I just found myself saying, ‘eh, it’ll just look better on PS4′ for every non-exclusive game shown. I think it says a lot that I spent most of the time playing Animal Crossing on my 3DS while MS dangled explosions, gunplay, and set pieces in front of my face, to no avail (I’m starting to think that Nintendo games are created primarily for adults, weird as that sounds).
But seriously, a serial code for every disk game? Can’t easily lend to a friend? Can’t bring a disk over to a friend’s house and quickly play a few rounds without logging in to your account and installing the entire game? Just, what the heck, Microsoft?? I already hated online passes, and I mostly hate DLC, but this is just one giant step even more terrible.
So, Sony’s conference. Not bad, not bad. I’m pretty excited for Second Son, The Order looks like it could be a ton of fun, oh, and Destiny actually looked much better than I though it would (figured it would be more MMO-y, but I like the current direction of ‘suddenly multiplayer’ during single player or co-op play).
I’m obviously writing this post because, once again, I’m stupidly hyped for Nintendo’s conference (er, Direct). Not many ways they can mess this one up, for once. New 3D Mario, NEW (best game series ever) SMASH BROS TRAILER! Even without new hardware launches, Nintendo could knock this out of the park for me by showing actual ‘next gen’ gameplay, which I still haven’t seen yet from the far beefier consoles.
Nintendo conference insta-wins:
- Smash Bros looks more Melee than Brawl (NO TRIPPING!!!)
- 3D Mario looks huge and epic and ‘feels’ new, like Galaxy did, but in larger levels, like Mario 64
- Retro shows a new IP and it looks amazing
- New Star Fox
- New F-Zero (please oh please oh please)
- 2.5D sidescrolling Metroid on 3DS
- Show something that uses the GPGPU to create new gameplay, like manipulating physics, new interactions, cool new stylus driven interactions, etc
Nintendo conference fails:
- More 3DS games than Wii U games
- Wii Sports U or Wii Fit U as main focus
- Mario Party U as main focus
- Wii Music U shown at all
- Any other minor Nintendo IPs given main focus on Wii U (Nintendogs, Brain Age, etc)
Can’t wait to see what Retro’s been working on, can’t wait to see if X looks as amazing as Xenoblade, AND DID I MENTION I WAS EXCITED FOR A NEW SMASH BROS?
Come on, Nintendo, don’t mess this up!
Will be back tomorrow to complain if Nintendo messes this up >:D