(Am I late to the April Foolery?)
(Am I late to the April Foolery?)
Welp, looks like Mochi’s Version Control is offline (Mochi was shut down recently). World 3 used it reduce the size of the actual swf file that was distributed on sites, so the game just isn’t playable without that chunk of game being piped in,
I’ll have to revisit that mammoth fla and create a full version eventually, but at the moment I’m way too busy trying to finish up the World 1 Remix, so for your World 3 fix, you’ll have to go to a site that’s hosting the full version. Two that I know definitely have the builds that still work:
Games.com has a newer version that streams the levels in as they’re needed, levels take slightly longer to start, but there’s way less upfront load time.
Update, more posts!
FPA on consoles is 2 years old! I thought it would be fun to go back and take a peak at where World 3 first materialized. In a notebook, of course! Check out the Facebook Album, and Like / Share / Comment if you want to see more!
Click the images to view the full album.
Finally, after the long, exhausting, almost three year long journey that was The Fancy Pants Adventures: World 3, I had to disappear from the internet a bit to regain some of my lost sanity. But I’m back, and more ready than ever to, I dunno, attempt to do awesome things at the Internet?
So what’s been going on these past few months? Lots, actually. First and foremost, I celebrated my first Fathers Day (:D) last Sunday, I’ve also been working on the Grateful Dead online game with Curious Sense. The first part of it is out now, and there’s some really awesome additions coming soon. Just make sure to register and create your own avatar, a lot of code went into making those little guys customizable! Disappear for awhile, come back with a launched game, not too bad, eh?
TommyLM and I have begun discussing Fraser’s Ride again, so expect to see some updates on that, finally! I can say, though, it looks WAY more awesome right now than it did the last time you saw it. I’ve also learned a bunch of code while working on W3 that should help make that development far easier.
I’ve also finally upgraded my audio / video equipment, so I’m itching to get back on YouTube and talk about teh gamez again. Anything you guys would like me to address, relating to W3 development, perhaps?
Been playing a lot of games recently, I’ll make a post later so I can go more in detail about the games I’m playing, since those usually have a pretty big influence on the games I’m working on.
And last but not least, I’ve got some cool ideas on how to get the Borne Games community more involved in some game making, so check out our forums for my latest hair-brained schemes.
Update: another handful of fixes
- Rolling through tunnel problems. Hopefully this addresses previous issues with the tunnels also.
- Hanging: Whoops! Updated hanging to work with the new collision, and tweaked it a big. Finally, you can backflip from ropes!
- Little bug fixes to ground collision while near walls
- Updated the charge in air animation.
Well here we are, the last stretch of development. Finally feels like things are really starting to come together for World 3. I’ve been working on this game forever now, but here’s the push to get the game out of the door!
Got a lot of changes in this update to the Sneak Peek, remember to empty your cache if it’s not updating for you.
- The biggest actual addition is the new air jab. Jabbing felt sort of useless before, it bugged me that there really wasn’t a time to use it over the air spin attack. Now, tapping attack while in the air will perform a powerful jab, a one hit kill against spiders, and a great way to take Ninjas head on! (not to mention jabbing frogs mid jump!)
- I’ve been going over the combat in general, also, trying to make things a bit more fair. It should be harder to get hurt while performing combos on the ground, but the best way to stay alive is still to move around! There’s even a protected time after stomping, so you won’t, say, launch off of a baddie straight into another baddie. Super useful against a swarm of Ninjas.
- 3D camera is finally working properly! Check out the pinball test level, looks awesome Spent some time on the tracking for FPM and the shell, should be much better now. Which reminds me, Bats are updated, bob in the air a bit and respawn. Though they probably shouldn’t in the pinball level, oops…
- Tweaked the seesaw platforms in the super hard room, should make them much easier to run up and jump off of.
- Here’s probably the most requested feature: Try hitting the mouse’s bullet now There’s not really a great place to do it in the Sneak Peek, but it’s great fun in Outer Squiggleville.
- I finally gave up and completely changed how I’m handling rotation and collision. Over the Top did it a much easier way for the console, I’m now doing something similar. So if you see any weird teleportation bugs, please send a replay, they should be much easier to fix now.
A few smaller things:
- I revisited the combo system for smacking baddies around. You’ll get a combo going for jumping on multiple baddies (I think I broke that after World 2), or bouncing around them with the air attack, or sliding into one and bouncing on another, or pretty much anything that you can do without touching the ground, wall jumping is fair game! Hmm, makes me want to make a level with a ton of baddies and walls, floor is lava! or something like that… Still need to add a few things, like a combo for the shell hitting things… Show off by hitting a baddie into a wall, headbutting it, then jabbing it into oblivion!
- Dead baddies now can hit other baddies. Not sure if I’ll leave this one in, but it’s pretty hilarious. I hope it doesn’t eat anyone’s computer alive when there’s a ton of baddies. Let me know if performance drops too much for anyone in the combat arena.
- The uh, shell wobbles a bit when bouncing. Yeah…
- And the pencil’s slightly larger… Totally the most important item on this list! Yep…
Stage 2 of the Misplaced Cave golf, er, stage: Outline!
Jumping on a shell into the ground should be fixed. Added another jumppad to get back up. Few other fixes…
And, a little something extra for completing the hole
Can’t believe that it was back in ’08 that I first uploaded the Christmas version of World 2, sheesh.
Got a little something different for this Christmas: a new challenge level for the Misplaced Caves in the Sneak Peek, but with a small Christmas twist (and of course, fixed a bunch of bugs).
You’ll have to find the room inside the Caves, it’s pretty close to the beginning, same as the console version.
There won’t be a Snailshell Golf course in every single level like in World 2, but as challenge levels, I have a lot more freedom making a smaller level specifically for a round of golf. I like how this level turned out, and I’ve tuned the shell physics a tad bit more, so hopefully the shell is a little easier to control, too.
And of course, Merry Christmas! Watch many good Christmas movies!
What’s up everyone? Hope you’re all enjoying the holidays so far!
So I’ve posted this around on the Facebook and Twitters, but just for the sake of completeness, I’ll post it here, too. The Fancy Pants Adventures is coming out for iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad January of 2012! I can’t say too much more about it yet, but you should be hearing more very soon. I can say, though, that we’ve spent a lot of time on the controls, making sure they’re easy to press and super responsive, and they stand up to the best I’ve seen on iOS.
But don’t forget about about World 3! I’d want to release it as soon as possible after FPA goes live on the App Store, so I guess you can consider that sort of a release date, as long as everything goes well.
As for the Sneak Peek, I’ve been working on painting a water level recently, and ended up tweaking the swimming a bit, just because it was bugging me. Tightened up the controls, fixed up a few animations, and smoothed out the camera a bit. Let me know how it feels, or if you even notice a difference. Or if I broke everything.
And finally, I have something coming up in the Sneak Peek Christmas, check back soon!
[Edit: Looks like some things in the first upload was a bad export, and with a few other problems. Should be fixed now!]
All those bug fixes, Time Trial’s been in there, but I figured I’d mention it in a post.
And, that door should be working now. Added some doodles to show kinda where you need to go, but the level’s supposed to be very very difficult to complete, let me know if it’s clear enough, or if you think it’s unbeatable, heh.
Also, been doing some more work on the combat, lots of tweaking to little things like how baddies act when they’re flying in the air, how far you hit them, all that, so have a few rounds in the Baddie Arena if you want to give some feedback on how that all feels.
I’ve done a bit of polishing on the swimming, too, so if you want to have a go at breaking that also, be my guest
Next up: Challenge level! I thought it would be a good time to make a super awesome Snailshell Golf dedicated level for World 3. Whatcha think?
Bunch of things should be fixed. There’s one more thing, but I don’t want to point it out. Let me know what you think. It’s something that I’ve been going back and forth on for awhile now, but I figured see how you guys feel about it.
If you’re having some trouble figuring out what I did, go fight something with the pencil, should be most obvious there.
Sneak Peek. Might want to just go ahead and clear your cache first.
Borne Games is Stephen Fry proof thanks to caching by WP Super Cache